How we teach Reading
EYFS, Yr 1, Yr 2
There is a big emphasis on Phonics at this age. We teach this using Read Write Inc (we provide details on how we teach phonics below). At this age we also read lots of books to children to help them understand the language and structure. Children also learn key words at his stage. This is usually the very common words so they can read them quickly.
- Every week Children will have a guided reading lesson where they read a book of the teachers choosing in a small group
- Children will regularly have a 1-1 reading session with the class teacher and Teaching assistant
- Every day the children will have a book study session where they read, discuss and explore a book as a whole class
Yr 3, Yr 4, Yr 5, Yr 6
At this age the children can read fluently. The focus for children at his end of the school shifts to understanding the book.
- Every day the children will have a book study session where they read, discuss and explore a book as a whole class. This is usually the class book. This book changes every half term and links to the topic that the children are studying.
- The children have a half hour quiet reading session.
- Children will regularly have a 1-1 reading session with the class teacher and Teaching assistant.
How you can help at home
Help your child to learn their phonics sounds. Use the sound cards provided by the teacher (printable version included below).
Read with your child every night (or as close to that as possible). At KS1 and in EYFS Children will have a book provided by the class teacher. Videos on how to read with your children are included below.